Sunday, February 1, 2009

For the life of me, I cannot remember, What made us think that we were wise and we'd never compromise

Evening gentle viewers. It`s your pal Billy King straight from the fish bowl. Its “Monday” for me and needless to say, I don’t feel too happy about it. I`m feeling slightly overwhelmed by the a mix of full time work and 6 hours of school. I just feel like I don't get a break. Next weekend is my relaxing, spa weekend. (can you hear how excited I am!)

Since I have been in sociology mode for the last few weeks I`ve been looking at life from that side of things. I`ve been thinking of societies influence on who we are. Durkheim says that people actions are completely influenced by the external forces that is “society.” If you really think about it, he has a very valid point. For example, in western society, dating or marrying someone under the age of 18 is illegal. But in many countries this is a normal, socially acceptable practice. Even if you completely act in a way opposite society, you are none the less doing so due to societies influence, you are simply going against what society states is “right.” I`ve thought about my actions and choices in life. What would my life be like if I was living in a different era, decade or even century? Would I still have the ability or strength to fight society? Would I be able to feel more along then I do now and still fight against stereotypes? If I was in the times of stone butch… what would I have done? I don`t know if I would have had the same strength. I would like to say that I would but there is no way for me to really know how much strength I would have….

(now continued, home from the fish bowl) I feel like this year has flown by. Its been an insane. I survived my first year at RBC and this Wednesday I`ll find out if I win the award for Elite banker. This is my second nomination and despite the fact that I doubt I`ll win, I`m happy none the less to be nominated, but god would I love to bring home that trophy.

Anyway gentle viewers, its getting late. I promise a more interesting post soon.

No comments: